Wisdom Begins with Wonder.
In a Waldorf School, children become increasingly free as they develop. They learn to create solutions rather than replicate them: to think rather than memorize. They learn that initiative, not compliance, is rewarded.
We are delighted you are considering Waldorf Education for your family and understand you are looking for a school where your child will not only learn, but thrive. Our students grow into accomplished, engaged young people notable not only for their confidence, abilities, and interests, but for the profound human connections they form.
We welcome families to visit our school, schedule a classroom observation, attend one of our Admissions events, or meet with our Enrollment team and walk through our wonderful campus to truly understand the magic of our Waldorf curriculum.
You can find a wealth of information on our website, but please feel free to ask questions by emailing or calling us to ask about our admissions process or about the Waldorf curriculum.
The HVWS Enrollment Team
To ensure our school is a good fit for both your family and your child, we have designed the following recommended Admissions Timeline to help assist you with next steps!
1. Submit an Inquiry: Having families submit an inquiry allows us a chance to provide an exchange of information so that you can learn more about our programs and we can learn more about your child and family. The Waldorf curriculum is grounded in the knowledge that children have distinct, age-related educational and emotional needs according to their naturally unfolding stages of development.
2. Visit our School: Please contact the Enrollment Team at 203-364-1113 to schedule a campus tour, classroom observation, or have an informal discussion about our school.
3. Submit an Application: Create an account through FACTS and submit your child’s application. A non-refundable application fee of $75 will be processed at this time.
4. Family Interview: When a spot becomes available, you will be invited to an Admissions Interview. You and your child will typically meet with our Enrollment Team and one or two of our class teachers. The Family Interview is intended to help us get to know your family and ensure that there is a good fit between your child and Housatonic Valley Waldorf School.
5. Acceptance: Following the Family Interview, the Enrollment Director and class teacher(s) will discuss your child’s acceptance, after which the Enrollment Director will contact you with the decision.
6. Enrollment Packet: Upon acceptance, you will be asked to complete an Enrollment Packet. In order to guarantee a spot for your child, a non-refundable tuition deposit is due by the date stated in the enrollment contract. At this point, you may also apply for a tuition adjustment through our Variable Tuition Program, if required.
preschool & kindergarten
- Children must turn 3 years by April 30th and must be toilet trained.
elementary (grades 1-5) & middle school (grades 6-8)
- Submit Teacher Reference from your child’s present school/teacher.
- Submit School Records from your child’s past and present schools attended.
grades 5-8 only:
- Complete and submit Student Questionnaire
Housatonic Valley Waldorf School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. Housatonic Valley Waldorf School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.
tuition & fees
3-day, $9,100 (non-refundable deposit, $750)
5-day: $12,600 (non-refundable deposit, $1,000)
$21,600 (non-refundable deposit, $1,750)
HVWS recognizes that life circumstances occasionally require withdrawal from school, possibly making it a financial hardship to honor the Tuition Agreement you signed. For this reason, Tuition Insurance is now mandatory for all families. Tuition Insurance equals 2.70% of net tuition (tuition after the non-refundable deposit and any discounts and/or variable tuition calculations).
For students in 1st-8th grade, a non-refundable class trip fee of $200 per year is required for enrollment. Class trip fees are used to support the annual 3rd grade farm trip and to defray the cost of the 8th grade class trip, which are regular components of the Waldorf curriculum. All other class field trips are handled by the respective class teacher at the time of the trip.
Beginning in the third grade, parents are responsible for buying or renting an instrument so their child can participate in the Strings program. Parents are also expected to arrange for additional private lessons outside of class time. In addition to private lessons after school hours, a newly enrolled student in fourth grade and up with no previous strings experience will be required to participate in supplemental in-school lessons. Parents are responsible for the additional cost.
Think You Can’t Afford a Waldorf Education?
We believe Waldorf education is one of the most important investments you can make in your child’s formative years. We want to partner with families in making a Waldorf education accessible to those who seek it, while also working toward school and community sustainability. We believe these goals go hand in hand.
In reality no family pays the full cost of educating their child(ren) at the school. Tuition is set approximately 15% below the cost to encourage more families to attend. Offering further discounted tuition, based on family means, creates a more diverse student body benefiting everyone at the school.
Delivering a Waldorf education is resource-intensive but we want to promote a culture that views tuition as a two-way conversation rather than simply an exchange of dollars and cents. We understand that each family’s financial circumstances are unique have implemented the Variable Tuition model so that finances will not be an obstacle to your child receiving a Waldorf education.
HVWS uses FACTS to provide an objective and consistent method of determining a family’s ability to contribute to educational expenses. All applications must be completed online and all required supplemental financial information must be sent directly to FACTS. Please note that FACTS will not process applications until all supplemental materials are received.
If you have any questions regarding the FACTS application you can visit their Customer Service page for answers to frequently answered questions or call 866-315-9262.
Want to learn more about Variable Tuition? Click here! For more information about our programs or our independent day school, we welcome you to inquire with us today! We look forward to continuing the education of all our preschool, elementary, and middle school students across Connecticut, including Newtown, Bethel, Danbury, CT, as well as Westchester County, New York.